The Carpetbagger Report » Blessed are the warmongers: "Blessed are the warmongers
Posted 9:56 am | Printer Friendly
Not content with one venture into Mess O' Potamia, at least one Republican lawmaker seems anxious to start another – this time, with nukes.
Now we know where Rep. Sam Johnson (R-Texas) thinks the weapons of mass destruction are buried: in Syria, which he said he'd like to nuke to smithereens.
Speaking at a veterans' celebration at Suncreek United Methodist Church in Allen, Texas, on Feb. 19, Johnson told the crowd that he explained his theory to President Bush and Rep. Kay Granger (R-Texas) on the porch of the White House one night.
Johnson said he told the president that night, 'Syria is the problem. Syria is where those weapons of mass destruction are, in my view. You know, I can fly an F-15, put two nukes on 'em and I'll make one pass. We won't have to worry about Syria anymore.'
The crowd roared with applause.
This is so twisted, it's hard to know where to start. Which of these is the most outrageous part of this story?
* That a sitting member of Congress is bragging about his desire to drop nuclear weapons?
* That Johnson has shared this idea with the president?
* That Johnson's favored approach to non-proliferation is an unprovoked nuclear attack?
* That this speech was delivered in a church?
* That Johnson's audience 'roared with applause'?
Carpetbagger reports, you decide.